Rogg Dogg Blogg posts

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

No plastic bowls- ever!


Amazon just delivered another glass bowl that I ordered for feeding my four-legged kids. I decided that if plastic was not-so-good for humans to drink from, microwave in, eat in, then why are we still feeding our dogs from cute little molded plastic bowls?

Boomer chows down
Because they're everywhere, that's why. PetSmart, grocery stores, Target and WalMart - plastic bowls molded in the shape of goblets and kitty cats - you know the kind. And they're cheap - I picked up a bowl for less than $1 as a temporary water bowl. But I hated using it. So I went on the hunt for a glass dog bowl.

I had to look long and hard before I found one that suited me. I tried using inexpensive Corelle bowls from the Corning Outlet which are terrific: I can heat up chilled food in the microwave and then serve it to my doggies with some confidence that I am not releasing evil plastic molecules into their little bodies. However, glass and ceramic bowls scoot around on the floor making a terrible racquet and causing a rather comical chase around the kitchen by the Milli and Boomer who are trying to get the last nibble from the bottom of the bowls.

Finally I found a  PetStages glass bowl that has a rubber ring around the bottom and up the sides a bit (with cute little paw print cutouts, too). The bowl stays put on the floor and fits perfectly into my elevated dog feeders (needed for my bigger guys, especially with their hip and joint problems). Perfecto!

They cost a bit more - $14 each - but they are dishwasher safe and supposedly microwave safe too. But there's that rubber/ plastic thing and heat that bothers me. So I heat up the food in a Corelle bowl, then transfer it to the Pet Stages glass bowl.

Complicated? Maybe, but my little family of Shelties are worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! Your dog is lovely. I'm doing practice GMAT here: gmatonlinetest.com . I hope it's useful for GMAT test takers.

    ReplyDelete